About the Artist
Gilberto Mello is an oil painter who uses classical drawing and painting techniques to render realistically the rhythm of light on everyday objects and life moments.
He started painting in 2006, in New Jersey, where he studied oil and acrylic painting by taking private lessons with art instructors and attending classes at the Art Students League of New York. After moving to Texas in 2009, he continued his studies at the Art League Houston, as well as through participation in various painting workshops organized by artists both in the US and abroad.
In the summer of 2015, Gilberto Mello completed a two week workshop in still life painting at the Angel Academy of Art in Florence, Italy.
Presently, Gilberto Mello lives in Katy, Texas, where he works from his home studio.
Art Training / Workshops
- Art Students League of New York - 2007, 2008 - Portrait and figurative painting with Joseph Peller and Sherry Camhy, classical drawing with James McElhinney and lithography printing techniques with Sylvie Covey.
- Art League Houston - Fall 2010 and 2011, Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 - Oil painting: Landcape painting with Steve Parker; figure painting with Hagit Barkai; classical figurative painting with Polly Liu.
- Angel Academy of Art, Florence, Italy - Summer 2015 - Still life oil painting workshop with artist Martinho Isidro Correia.
- Workshop in Austin, Texas - Winter 2016 - Still life oil painting workshop with artist Qiang Huang.
- Workshop in Saint Louis, MO, at the Gateway Academy of Classical Art Atelier - Fall 2018 - Portrait oil painting workshop with artist David Gray.